Are you worried that your child may be suffering from ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder)? Pediatricians Dr. Nafees Khan and Dr. David Bunker at Franklin Pediatrics in Moline, IL, can help diagnose the disorder and provide the care your child needs.
More on ADHD:
ADHD is a neurobehavioral disorder that debilitates a child's ability to focus on a single task. Children who suffer from ADHD can't concentrate because their brain tells them to do multiple tasks at the same time.
Not every child that displays symptoms actually has the behavioral disorder—sometimes, actions perceived as hyperactive are simply the result of kids being kids. However, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, approximately 11 percent of children between the ages of 4 and 17 do struggle with ADHD. That's about 6.4 million kids!
Children with ADHD display the symptoms listed below in all circumstances, although it should be noted that boys are more likely to be diagnosed than girls. ADHD signs are:
- Overly rambunctious, hyperactive, disruptive, and impulsive behaviors
- Strained relationships with siblings and peers
- Talking too much and at inappropriate times
- Inability to follow directions
- Laziness or procrastination
- Forgetting or misplacing items
- Constant fidgeting
- Difficulty listening or focusing on conversations
Your Moline doctors at Franklin Pediatrics are trained to detect the symptoms mentioned above. They take other factors into consideration as well, including developmental disorders and disabilities.
After confirming your child has ADHD by a pediatrician, the following steps will consist of:
- Speaking with your child's doctor about managing ADHD
- Learning about different medications, that'll help manage behavioral symptoms like impulsivity and lack of focus
- Setting a plan for scheduled, individualized behavioral therapies that control symptoms and improve school and home life
- Changing your child’s diet, eliminating sugar, and providing more vitamins
If you think your child is displaying symptoms of ADHD, it’s time to schedule an evaluation with Franklin Pediatrics in Moline, IL. Call (309) 762-0777 today!