Posts for tag: Acne
Find out the causes and treatment options for childhood acne.
While acne is one of the most common skin disorders, we most often associate acne with adolescence. Of course, adults can also struggle to get acne under control; however, what about children? It might seem hard to imagine, but even young children can develop acne. Is your little one dealing with this pediatric issue? Our pediatricians in Moline, IL, Dr. Nafees Khan and Dr. David Bunker can give you the answers you’re looking for:
What causes acne?
There are many reasons why acne can develop. The most common cause is clogged pores due to an overproduction of oil and dead skin cells. Bacteria on the surface of the skin can also get trapped within the pores. Children that are close to puberty, as well as teens, may experience acne as a result of hormonal changes.
What are the different kinds of acne?
Acne comes in many different forms and the kind of acne your child is dealing with will help our Moline, IL, pediatric doctor determine the most effective treatment option. Here are the different types of acne:
- Comedone: whiteheads and blackheads are common comedones caused by oil trapped within the hair follicles
- Pustules: pus-filled, tender bumps that are close to the skin’s surface
- Papules: tiny but deep bumps caused by clogged pores (a sign of inflammatory acne)
- Nodules: very deep, large hard bumps that lie under the skin
- Cyst: a pus-filled nodule
Acne can develop anywhere on the body but are most commonly found on the face, shoulders, back, chest, and neck. If your child is experiencing persistent, severe, or recurring acne symptoms it’s important that you see your children’s doctor for an evaluation.
How is childhood acne treated?
Treating acne takes time and there may be some trial and error in finding the right medication or treatment for your child’s acne. The treatment plan we create for your child will depend on certain factors, including:
- Your child’s age
- Their overall health
- Their symptoms
- The type of acne
- The severity of their symptoms
Common treatment options include:
- Simple extractions performed by their doctor to drain the pimple, nodule or cyst
- Over-the-counter lotions, gels, or cleanser designed to treat acne-prone skin
- Prescription oral or topical medications such as retinoids
Give us a call
The doctors here at Franklin Pediatrics provide comprehensive medical care to children of all ages living in and around Moline, IL. If your child is experiencing symptoms of acne, then call our office for an evaluation: (309) 762-0777.